Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Day Zero Project


Like lots of other people, I like to sit down at this time of year and make a list of resolutions. I do this every year, without fail. The thing is (unlike lots of other people), I usually keep my resolutions. I think of new year's resolutions, and list making in particular as a new opportunity, another chance, a fresh start- like being presented with a brand new copybook. Clean white pages and one thought- don't mess it up.

My resolutions tend to be, for the most part, practical. Realistic. Achievable. Some might say boring, but I disagree. I include lots of nice things to do for myself, taking the edge off the usual January penance.

That is why I loved the idea of the Day Zero Project (which I first heard about on Jessica's blog). You write a list of 101 things you want to achieve in the next 1001 days. You can then record all your goals and track your progress by setting up an account on the website (the website is down at the moment, but once its up and running you will be able to see my list here). The website counts down the days for you and you tick off your goals as you complete them. Simple.

Here's my list:

1. Complete a crossword
2. Run 10K
3. Spend a rainy day watching movies in my pajamas
4. Go on a road trip
5. Buy a good camera
6. Learn how to take good photographs
7. Stay at a 5 star hotel
8. Make a new friend
9. Visit London
10. Join a book club
11. Don't complain about anything for a week
12. Buy an original piece of art
13. Perfect 5 signature dishes
14. Perfect 5 cocktails
15. Be debt-free
16. Do a parachute jump
17. Build something with lego
18. Get something pierced
19. Attend a book signing
20. Give up something for Lent
21. Go to the beach in November
22. Watch the sunrise
23. Watch the sunset
24. Learn 3 clean jokes
25. Drink 2 litres of water every day for a month
26. Write and send a letter
27. Make my own ice-cream
28. Spend the day at IKEA
29. Visit the dentist
30. Buy fresh flowers
31. Have a BBQ
32. Be on the cover of TIME magazine
33. Cut down to 2 sugars in my tea
34. Visit a museum
35. Hand-make a present
36. Go camping
37. Learn a card trick
38. Host an old-fashioned slumber party
39. Do a charity swim on St. Stephen's day
40. Visit Northern Ireland
41. Watch a rugby match
42. Babysit
43. Go to a concert
44. Work in another country
45. Spend the day at a SPA
46. Learn to play Chess
47. Complete a make-up course
48. Lose 7lb
49. Spend a day with my Mam
50. Spend a day with my Dad
51. Become a vegetarian for a month
52. Sell something on ebay
53. Join the libary
54. Drink champagne to celebrate nothing
55. Make my own jam
56. Get all my photos developed
57. Visit Paris (again)
58. Host a themed party
59. Spend Sunday morning in a café with the papers
60. Attend an art exhibit
61. Detox
62. Climb a mountain
63. Find the perfect pair of jeans
64. Go to a comedy gig
65. Read 101 books
66. Watch 101 movies
67. Do an at-home facial
68. Rent bicycles for the day
69. Make my own candles
70. Buy a pair of designer shoes
71. Perfect 5 different 'looks' with my hair
72. Be able to hold a short conversation in French
73. Go on a picnic
74. Buy nothing unneccessary for a month
75. Spend a day watching Disney movies
76. Create my own work of art
77. Go to the cinema on my own
78. Bake cookies
79. Redecorate
80. Start a tradition
81. Attend a 'Hot Yoga' class
82. Watch every episode of Sex and the City (in order)
83. Take my parents out to dinner and pay for it
84. Host a dinner party
85. Attend a fashion show
86. Make money doing something I love
87. Have a staycation
88. Make a birthday cake for someone.
89. Put together the perfect make-up kit
90. Spend the day in the libary
91. Don't use my car for a week
92. Follow a skincare regime
93. Go to the theatre
94. Join the gym
95. Spring clean
96. Make my own Christmas cards
97. Keep my room tidy for a whole month
98. Plant a tree
99. Inspire another person to make a Day Zero list
100. Donate €5 to charity for each achieved goal
101. Blog about each achieved goal

26 comments:

Chloe Spurling said...

thats such a genius thing to do! good luck i'm sure you'll do amazing (:
xo

Design Elements said...

you've already done No. 99 :-) Hug

Oh Emma. said...

Like to see someone thinking big, (no. 32) :)

MARTA said...

Thanks for your super comment! This list is full of great inspiration...I especially liked "Not complaining for one week"...I bet it must be so difficult!...Happy 2011 Little t!

Closet Fashionista said...

ooh wow that is such a cool idea!!! I can't wait to see how you do :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Le pirate said...

i love this! especially #101 :) Can't wait to hear about these!

Thanks for the book recommendation too! I 'll have to check it out :)


www.passportsandprada.com

xoxo summer

Ima said...

woow that is a long list of resolutions. I like it. Oh and 'visit Paris(again)'? Gosh you're so lucky cause you've been there already. I really hope I can go there too someday.

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

Wow this is a GREAT list. can't wait to read more of your adventures

Catita said...

I read each of them and it made me laugh and also think, woow! I should also do that ;) VEry inspiring!
Hope you get to do a few this year!
xoxox
Happy New YEar!
C

Anonymous said...

WOW that is a lot of things to do! its a great idea though!

ps. totally agree about polka-dot tights. worst part is i already have a hole in mine! boo.

xo denj

www.hellodenj.com

*** said...

Wow, that's a great list.

erica said...

How neat is this. Loving your list!

xo

Neekoh said...

Oh my gosh, I started one of these lists a while back and never even finished it! Good luck with yours, it's ambitious, but fun :)

XXo,
Neekoh

Marisa Seguin said...

Sounds like a cool website, I'll have to check it out! Good luck with your goals! I look forward to reading about them as you accomplish them.

P.S. Thanks for the book recommendation!

Jessica said...

Great list! I love seeing what other people put on their lists! I found it so hard to get to 101 things though...

becca said...

wow, it's cool that you could think of so many things.
it's fun just to dream up goals, isn't it?
good luck, thelma!

Sara Lee Bentley said...

Great idea! I hope you accomplish all of these in record time :)

Diana Mieczan said...

This is such a brilliant idea:) I love your list and I have to make one too:) How cool! Kisses,sweetie

Ps: I am hosting a great home decor GIVEAWAY today, so please join in :)

S and O said...

Love your list!
Sounds do-able :D
Xoxo
Sarah

Hannah said...

I love this idea so much more than regular resolutions!

If you need to send a letter to someone I'm game to do a little exchange ;)

Oh and I JUST started Sex and the City from the very beginning!

Ioana Liliana said...

Good luck with your list, hope it goes as planned!


Fashezine

projectmanager said...

Yoinkedy yoinkedy yoink... I may be planning to rob some of these, as well as the other idea I've already stolen from you. I should begin feeling guilty...

Samantha said...

Loving this! Good luck! :o)

-Samantha

http://thisfashionista.blogspot.com

World Wake Up Call said...

I came across this somewhere, so I read your complete list of DayZero goals, and I must say it was pretty awesome! I loved how it really involved really random things.

We've made a blogpost trying to inspire as many as people as possible to participate (one of our goals was to write this ;). Perhaps you want to leave a comment of what you thought your best or most interesting goal was?
http://worldwakeupcall.blogspot.com/2011/01/dayzeroproject.html

Would be awesome :)
- Griffith.

Unknown said...

Thelma, you are so fricken cool, don't know where you find the time!

Ps your little Denisey is keeping good (well considering it January I guess...everything is relative!)

Samantha said...

I just tried hot yoga for the first time last week and loved it! :o)

-Samantha

http://thisfashionista.blogspot.com