Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Nostalgia, Bottled

When we were very little, The Square shopping centre in Tallaght (or Tallasquare) was the height of sophistication. We almost never got to go.

It was even great when Mam went without bringing us, because then you would at least get a present from Tallasquare- and that was pretty good too.

The two presents I remember being brought home were:
1. Sweets from The Sweet Factory (most frequently- she wouldn't dare drive to Tallasquare and return without these)
2. Goodies from The Body Shop (once we were a little older, or on a more special occasion). Either way, I felt very grown up when I got a soap and bath balls (do they even make these anymore?) in a selection of fruity fragrances.

So recently, when The Body Shop bath and shower gels were on offer for €5.50 (marginally more expensive than supermarket brands), I just couldn't resist.



It took me a couple of laps of Sam McCauleys chemist to decide between Fuzzy Peach and Green Apple (I eventually went with Fuzzy Peach).

I'm not even sure that I want to smell like a peach. I bought it because this is essentially my childhood in a bottle. Funny how smells can do that. In a weird kind of way, its comforting to have a little of my childhood lingering in my grown-up bathroom.

No comments: